CMA CGM and AD Ports launched the construction of the new CMA Terminals Khalifa Port, a container terminal which is expected to be operational in the first half of 2025 and will have an initial capacity of 1.8 million TEUs.

CMA CGM’s port and terminal operator CMA Terminals will have a 70% share in the new box terminal, while AD Ports Group will own the remaining 30%. The project is estimated at around US$900 million.

AD Ports Group has installed the first 90-tonne block for the quay wall of the new box terminal, marking the major development milestone with a special ceremony. Senior executives from AD Ports Group, CMA CGM, and marine contractor NMDC attended the ceremony, where they signed the block and watched as it was lowered into place via a sea crane.

When the quay wall is complete, the signed block will be one of more than 6,000 within the 19m deep berth pocket and will be able to accommodate the world’s largest container vessels, according to a statement.

Other facilities under development include a 3,500-metre offshore detached breakwater, a fully built-out rail platform, and 1,000,000 m² of terminal yard.

“In addition to initiating construction of the quay wall, other ongoing marine works including the reclamation of land for the new terminal, construction of a new port basin and an offshore detached breakwater are on track. Recently, the contract for the design and construction of a 33kV substation was awarded as well,” noted David Gatward, chief engineering and technical services officer of AD Ports Group.

Source: Container News