Chairman of Deendayal Port Trust, Mr. S.K. Mehta, IFS, has emphasised on the need to replicate the global best practises being followed at ports like Rotterdam, Singapore and Antwerp in Indian ports.
He spoke about the green initiatives while interacting in the discussion in the session on “Green and Sustainable Maritime Sector” in Maritime India Summit – 2021. Mr. Mehta was also the host and convenor of this session.
The session was co-convened with Mr. Madhu Nair, CMD, Cochin Shipyard Ltd. The panellists in this session included:
- Mr JN Swain, IAS, CMD, Solar Energy Corporation of India
- Mr Ingvar M Mathisen, Port Director & CEO, Port of Oslo
- Ms Camille Egloff, MD & Senior Partner, BCG Athens
- Global Transportation and Logistics Leader, Greece
- Mr Sanjay Verma, Director- Decarbonization Solution, Wartsila Singapore Pvt Limited
- Mr Christian Sovik, Senior Vice President-Sales, Corvus Energy
- Mr Akshay Kumar Singh, Managing Director and CEO, Petronet LNG Limited
- Mr Tomoaki Ichida, General Manager, Energy Business Strategy, Mitsui OSK Lines Japan & President, e5 Lab Inc.
The discussions in this session revolved around alternate fuel, renewable energy-solar, wind and hybrid energy, battery operated vessels, hybrid vessels, green ports, LNG bunkering, decarbonization initiatives, pollution control measures etc.
While Mr. Mehta presented on the green initiatives on the major port side, Mr. Nair co-convened and talked about the shipping and shipbuilding side.